Tuesday, April 30, 2019

#MyCanterburyCoddiwomples #The100DayProject Days #28 and #29 Staring at Lichen

I find myself inspecting little granules as it were on the bark of trees - little shields or apothecia springing from a thallus - such is the mood of my mind - and I call it studying lichens.
Henry David Thoreau


Day #28's find is a tiny rosette perhaps a bottlebrush shield lichen and Day#29 is an even tinier crustose lichen with apothecia perhaps a Lecanora species. Or perhaps not! Doesn't matter right now for it will take me a long time to learn even a little about lichen but in the meanwhile their morphology and features are fun and interesting to study.

 

Zoomy image of the rosette. 


Zoomy image of the crustose lichen showing a thin thallus and apothecia.


Ink and watercolor in my Strathmore 500 Series Mixed Media Journal. 


What's a Zoomy?





No comments:

Post a Comment