Friday, June 24, 2016

A Blue Gossamer Confusion


Today my mind is in a state of blue gossamer confusion because I saw a beautiful blue Azure butterfly in the front yard the other day. It's too late in the season for the Spring Azure (Celastrina ladon). It looked larger and darker than the Springs I usually see. Could it be an Appalachian Azure (Celastrina neglectamajor)? I only thought that because I just learned there was such a thing. I asked Carl and he didn't think so, perhaps too late in the season? Is it a Summer Azure (Celastrina neglecta)? Too early? Carl said they were a bit rare right now. I looked up Azures on the webber-net. There's actually a Holly Azure (Celastrina idella) which has a range just to the east of here on the Atlantic coastal plains. I did see the butterfly next to the Holly bush! Egads! I'm sure this mystery will never be solved.


Azures are gossamer-winged butterflies - a very large family called "Lycaenidae". Watercolors, Tombow marker, Zig Writer Pen, and blue gossamer in Strathmore Series 500 Mixed Media Journal.

http://possumpatty.blogspot.com/2016/06/grocery-store-botany-on-my-mind.html





No comments:

Post a Comment