Sunday, May 15, 2016

Breakfast Blooms: When it's early in the morning, things don't always go as planned: poppies





Love these papery poppies! Sat down with my oatmeal and Georgia blueberries to sketch them. All went well enough until I decided that I should do a resist and watercolor on them after breakfast. (This is not watercolor paper.)


I was looking for a way to depict the white markings on the poppy petals.


I used a white oil pastel on the flowers and then added a bit of watercolor. Oops! I put way too much white on most of the flowers. I tried to scratch some of the oil pastel off, but that didn't seem to work. I tried to add some touches of gouache. Didn't like how that looked. Got out some Caran D'Ache water soluble wax pastels and added a few touches of color onto the white areas. The very thin sketch paper gave way at this point in the process. Oh no! Holes. What to do? I cut out the two poppies that survived without holes and the magazine picture and just pasted them on another page. Those are the two above, one orange and one pink. They only have an oil pastel layer, a watercolor layer, and a wax pastel layer. 



I then sketched four new poppies and gave it another go. This time I only used the Caran D'Ache wax pastel crayons and a bit of water. Better, no overworking, no holes.


 I did like the original ink sketches. I am not in love with the final product, but this is a learning process.  I think the poppies should look thinner and more transparent. I guess I need to play some more!

http://possumpatty.blogspot.com/2016/05/crones-hags-and-other-beautiful-women.html

http://possumpatty.blogspot.com/2016/05/breakfast-blooms-holly-doodle-hocks-koh.html

http://possumpatty.blogspot.com/2016/05/breakfast-blooms-effects-of-chocolate.html






Amazon Associate!

No comments:

Post a Comment