Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Car Art: Horse Sketches


Using my lap as a desk during the long car ride to D.C.  That's a copy of Ken Hultgren's The Art of Animal Drawing - Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature first published in 1951.  


I promised April a horse picture back in the spring, but just now doing some warm up sketches.


My husband really frowns on me painting in a moving vehicle that has white leather seats, so I used three colored pencils: a blue, a purple, and an orangy-red.  


First I sketched the horse with the blue. Then I sketched it over again trying to find the mistakes and correct them. 


Orange pencil was last, still trying out lines and shapes. Making this one look balanced was hard. Used some drop lines to help. The drop lines should be straight - oh, well. Please ignore all of the extra legs.


More extra legs. This was done on the way home, and I was tired.


Eyes started to close. Didn't finish this one, but I like the trot!



This book is an oldie but a goodie. It has lots of illustrations and few words. It helps you understand the underlying construction of an animal so you can depict it correctly in motion. If you look at it on Amazon, you can see inside the book to check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment