Tuesday, March 13, 2018

#30Pages30Days Page 12 March 12: How to Sketch the Perfect Roof Line


#30Pages30Days Page 12 March 12
This is a "prompt mash-up." Roz's challenge (Day 10) was to pick one approach or medium and use it for 3 days. Yesterday I painted Amelia Sweetheart's mouth with gouache, so I worked with gouache again today. 


On Day 4 when I went to the park to nature journal, I arrived early to sketch the mansion to play "catch up" for Anita Davies' challenge on Day 3 to go on location to sketch a building because on that day I went outside and painted crocus.


The subject that I sketch or paint the least is buildings! It was cold so I sat in the car. The only view of the mansion was through the trees. I have a sketch series called "trees in parking lots while waiting for appointments". I tried to boost my confidence by telling myself that this will be same only there will be some shapes behind the trees!


I followed Anita Davies tip of learning to break the structure down into shapes and observing their relation to one another. The mansion is big on shapes! Many pointed roof lines, round turrets, stucco and wood, stones, etc.


I completed a quick ink sketch on location. Added Anita's tip to the page when I got back home. I didn't paint it until today. I put the trees in because I figured that if I didn't like the way the building came out, I could hide it with a forest! But after painting the mansion, I decided to not paint the trees and just left them inky. I made a command design decision! Anyway time was up. And then some. 30 minutes or less! 

I want to share my secret weapon that I used to get the correct roof angles, so I recorded this just for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment