Sunday, May 5, 2019

#MyCanterburyCoddiwomples #The100DayProject Day #34 The Variable-leaved Crestwort


I found another liverwort! I found another liverwort! I found another liverwort while looking at moss on a log. I had to bring a piece into the house for a closer look with the Zoomy to confirm what it was. Using the Zoomy, I recognized the oddly shaped leaves from a page in Susan Munch's book Outstanding Mosses & Liverworts of Pennsylvania and nearby States and sure enough, it was the variable-leaved Crestwort, Lophocolea heterophylla.




Lophocolea heterophylla with camera:


Same with using Zoomy:


Notice how the leaves overlap! Some leaves are rectangular and some are bilobed hence "heterophylla". 



Ink and watercolor in my Strathmore 500 Series Mixed Media Journal. 


What's a Zoomy?




No comments:

Post a Comment