Saturday, April 2, 2016

Fields of Yellow and Purple


On the way to the market this morning, I noticed that the farm fields were colorfully blooming with the yellow of wild mustard and the purple of red dead nettle. I was inspired to just put down some watercolors on the page in my journal but then decided to add some details about the economic importance of the wild mustard's cultivated descendants. I made some notes about the selective breeding process and which part of the plant was focused on during that process. For example, the leaves for kale and the terminal bud for cabbage.



Watercolors, Pigma Micron 005 pen, and Prismacolor Verithin colored pencils in a Strathmore Field Watercolor sketchbook. I used the Micron 005 instead of the 05 that I usually use, as I wanted to put a lot of information into the small space that I had left on the page. This Strathmore is an excellent watercolor book to take into the field as it has 15 sheets of 140 lbs watercolor paper (I use both sides so I get 30 pages.) and 15 pages of 60 lbs sketching paper. 




No comments:

Post a Comment