Saturday, July 20, 2019

#SBSColoredPencils #PlaysWithPencils A Picture Story: The Pequot (Art Process)


Inspired to color this folk tale-like picture after spending the day at the Mashantucket Pequot Museum. This is definitely not an exact copy of a piece of art at the museum, but there was a piece with figures (many more than in my small sketch) in a canoe that I was mesmerized with.


Inspired to get out bunches of colored pencils by the new Sketchbook Skool Kourse Colored Pencils: Sharpen Your Skills.


I really don't need inspiration to get out the Derwent Inktense Pencils because I love using them but I never thought to use them on Bristol Paper so that inspiration came from the Kourse. Here is the swatch test.


The spiral journal is a Canson XL Bristol Smooth with 100 lbs paper. This first picture was disappointing because I normally love to add lots of juicy washes with the Inktense pencils to get vivid colors. 


The Bristol paper would not let me do that without buckling and pilling. I added some extra color with a few Prismacolor Premier pencils to satisfy my color crave. The figures have a black outline made with a Pentel Brush pen. This pen is great and will write over waxy pencil marks and most anything else. The dark outlines were inspired by several pieces of art in the museum. 


Studio Supervisor gives final approval.









No comments:

Post a Comment