Tuesday, April 23, 2019

#MyCanterburyCoddiwomples #The100DayProject Day #18 Free Gills!



Back to the mushroom! I tried but couldn't identify yesterday's 'shroom, so I went back to check on it today.  Yesterday I thought the mushroom didn't have gills, so I tried to find it under "bolete". Today the mushroom had gills! I looked up some info on gill development which I recorded on the page. I also learned that there are different kinds of gills. This mushroom has "free gills" which don't quite reach the stem. I still don't know what species this is but I have learned something new.



Learning to identify mushrooms (or moss, or liverworts, or lichen, or anything else Sporo-licious) means learning what details to look for! One thing that I can recognize are gills, and well, I didn't see any so I thought to look under Bolete to see if I could identify this little guy. No luck. I went back to the log take a second look and found that some of the mushrooms now had gills.


I looked for information on gill development and learned that there is a veil that covers the gills in an early stage.


The veil stretches and then tears. 


I torn a bit off to see the gills underneath.


I established that this species has gills. Then I learned that there are different types of gills! There are gills that attach to the stem or run down the stem, there are "free" gills that seem to go take a last minute turn up into the cap and don't go all the way to the stem, well, there's probably more kinds to learn as well.


Above close-ups taken with Zoomy. 

Ink and watercolor in my Strathmore 500 Series Mixed Media Journal. 


What's a Zoomy?





No comments:

Post a Comment