Thursday, September 6, 2018

What's on my mind? August 22, 2018 Digger Wasps...

What's on my mind?


I noticed there haven't been as many destructive Japanese Beetles in the yard this year as there were last year. I usually pick them off of the plants and give them a bubbly demise by dropping them into a jar of soapy water. I have noticed though, that there were swarms and swarms of an insect flying low to the ground everywhere in the yard.


Upon investigation, I learned that this bumper crop of insects were the Blue-winged Digger Wasps, Scolia dubia. The female burrows into the soil and lays an egg on a beetle larva. The beetle is consumed as the wasp grows (parasitoid). 


Shown is the adult feeding on the nectar of Goldenrod flower. They also enjoy a good Mountain Mint. Perhaps this native wasp is my "beneficial" of the year!

Watercolor and Micron pen in my Jane Davenport Canvas Journal. 




No comments:

Post a Comment