Sunday, February 25, 2018

If you plan a disaster, you may be surprised at the result...

Sketching in the Kitchen with Kay...

See "Stream of Consciousness" below to read how this page came about!


Watercolors, graphite, and Pentel Brush Pen in Jane Davenport Canvas Journal.


Close up of face showing graphite around the eyes.


Close up of roses showing Pentel Brush Pen lines.


Close up of baby elephant show the primary colors: Azo Yellow (M. Graham), Quinacridone Pink (Daniel Smith), Phthalo blue (green shade) (Daniel Smith).


Stream of Consciousness:

...  it's dark, damp, chilly, a light rain falling, right now I'm sitting at Kay's kitchen table with my Jane Davenport Canvas Journal open in front of me while I decide on what to sketch as I look through Birds and Blooms at all of the stunning flowers and vibrant hummingbirds a torn page falls to the floor, as I pick it up I see that it is a page with a picture of a baby elephant that was obviously taken from somewhere else perhaps a National Geographic and what is it doing in a bird magazine I wonder when Kay hands me a brochure from a wig company containing lots and lots of pictures of glam gals in fake hair hinting that maybe I should work on "eyes" and taking that into my hand I notice there is a vase of very old roses on the other side of the table that were probably quite beautiful when received on Valentine's Day and I think to myself that I have a hard time sketching elephants, eyes, AND roses so why not put them all on one page and limit my palette to the three primary colors because if the page is doomed from the start there can be no fear of failure so YAY, freedom! and even though others may not understand the composition... I am fond of the outcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment